Sunday, August 24, 2008

We're Back, Thank God

Have you ever spent 2 months thinking about something and felt it would go perfectly just to have it all blow up in your face? Well, I have, at least NOW, I have.


We chose Erie, PA because its quiet and on the lake. We chose this specific Bed and Breakfast because it sat right on the beach and we thought the view would be spectacular. Based on the pictures, it was pretty and peaceful looking. When we got their, we discovered that the pictures portrayed the place accurately, pretty and peaceful. What they didn't show were the cats or the scent of old mildew. My husband is VERY allergic to cats and it wasn't until after we came back from dinner that we realized they were there. We knew the place was stinky but figured we'd get used to it. The sneezing, wheezing, itchy and watery eyes however, were hard to ignore. I told the owner we were going out to get allergy medicine, even though my husband hasn't had much luck with them in the past. It was our hope that the owner would offer to give us our money back (since we'd already paid in full) and then we could go stay in a hotel that wasn't stinky or infested with cats (and there were A LOT of spiders in our room). But, no such offer was made, however, she did offer some Zyrtec. My husband took it and we waited. I begged him to let us leave and find someplace else to stay (I told him we should leave because of his allergies, but really I wanted to leave because of the spiders), but he refused to waste the money. Fortunately, the Zyrtec kicked in and his allergies were under control. So all was well, until 3 AM.


The electricity went out and you would think what's the big deal it's the middle of the night, who needs electricity. Well, the big deal was the spotlight directly above our bed that only turns on when the electric goes out. The light was BRIGHT and was shining directly on us. My husband tried to find a way to turn it off, but no such luck. It stayed on until it burnt out 2 hours later.

Great, now you could sleep, I'm sure you're thinking, but you're wrong. When the light burnt out the ticking started. It ticked and ticked and ticked really fast and loud for about 30 minutes, until the batteries ran out. Yes, then we slept. But It was now about 6 AM and we were told that breakfast was served between 7 and 9. If you can remember from a past post, I like to sleep and eating breakfast that early was out of the question. At 7 AM I went out and told them about the drama during the night and their was now no need to cook breakfast for us because we'd be sleeping.

Once we finally woke up we spent the day at Presque Isle State Park, which more than made up for the night before. We rented a paddle boat (really wasn't a great idea since it was almost 90 degrees). We also went on a boat ride out on the lake, which was the best part of the whole trip. We did manage to have a quiet weekend and despite Friday night, we enjoyed ourselves. When we checked out on Sunday, the owners of the Bed & Breakfast refunded us our money for the first night, which was TERRIFIC.

So far this week has been very busy (I've actually been working on this post for three days, I just keep getting interrupted). The kangaroo had his first day of Kindergarten yesterday and I hope to post a video this weekend, so check back on Sunday.

2 comments:

Ana said...

And here I thought that these things only happened to me.... :-)

Glad that your trip was salvaged and that you got a good story out of it. I always look for the good story in those "no way this could be happening" moments. :-)

Anonymous said...

My name is Susan Carey and i would like to show you my personal experience with Zyrtec.

I am 40 years old. Have been on Zyrtec for 5 days now. The five times I took this medicine i felt extreme anxiety, depressed, and wild moodiness. I don't commonly feel any of these symptoms. It was really awful. It wasn't until I looked online and saw other people saying the same sort of things that I concluded it was this medicine.

I have experienced some of these side effects –
anxiety, depression, and mood swings

I hope this information will be useful to others,
Susan Carey