Thursday, August 21, 2008

YEAH and BOOWHOO!

Let me start by telling everyone the Monkey was ACCEPTED! She scored really well on understanding what was being said to her but not so well on saying it. Here's an example, the reviewer asked her where the apple was and she pointed to the apple. Then when the reviewer pointed to the apple and asked her what it was called, she said "ba ba blah da nee tee kay ba zotee." It was like that with everything.

She scored 3 deviations below the norm in speech, but to be accepted she only needed to score 2 deviations below the norm.

She was also tested for behavior/social issues (mainly through questionnaires that I had to fill out), however, I don't know the score in that area. I'll find that out next week, but I'm guessing she'll score low in that area also.

So, in 2 weeks a bus will pull up to our driveway and take the Monkey to school four days per week (half day) (and there's no cost!).

This is really great news for the Monkey because she's going to get so much help over the next two years and she'll be SOOO much better off when she has to join the main stream kids. She'll work with a speech therapist two days per week and also with a child psychologist (to help her better handle social situations, be nicer to other kids while playing, listening to authority, learning to trust again, etc.)

It's great and I'm thrilled.

Now for the boowhoo. Monday was meet the teacher for the Hawk and the Kangaroo. I knew I was in trouble when I walked inside the school building and began crying. I wasn't even leaving the boys there. We were just meeting their teachers.

The Hawk found out that he gets to sit (with their desks touching) right in front of the girl he seemed to be quite found of in Kindergarten. I'm having a lot of fun teasing him about that. There are also several other children that he knows in his class.

The Kangaroo, who is going into Kindergarten, has the same teacher that the Hawk had last year, which I'm thrilled about.

Since Monday, butterflies have been going crazy in my belly. I even woke up last night thinking I may have been coming down with a stomach bug, but it was just nerves. While the Hawk absolutely drives me bonkers, I do love him. He has been home, except for a few hours in the afternoons, ever day with me for the past seven years. Now he's going to be gone from 8am-4pm. That's a long time to not see his face or hear him screech. It breaks my heart.
Also, I can't sleep in anymore. I have to have him at the bus stop by 8am, which makes it impossible for me to sleep any later than 7:30am, YIKES.

So today we got up at 7:10am, got dressed together, brushed our teeth together, and then ate our breakfast together. I then packed his lunch, took a few pictures and walked him to the bus stop, with my video camera in hand (after the Kangaroo's first day I'll post the video). It went well because it was too early in the morning for me to cry.

The kindergartens don't start until Tuesday, so the Kangaroo is still home with me. I'll let you know how that goes next week.

Now, my lunch is gone and I must get back to work. Tomorrow Dad and I are headed out for our weekend away.

Have a great weekend!

1 comment:

Ana said...

Congrats to your Monkey for getting into her Pre-K!!!! Very good news.

Hoping that the new school year brings many adventures and wonderful memories for the Hawk and the Kangaroo.

And so sorry to hear about the having to wake up early. I, personally, loved to sleep in. Those days are LONG GONE! Any day I can sleep in until 8am is a very HUGE treat -- I think it's only happened once in 6months (total fluke).