Sunday, August 17, 2008

Big Week Ahead!

Lots in store for us this week.

The Monkey has her final "tryout" for preschool on Wednesday. Tryout for preschool, what? I call it a tryout, but it really isn't. Since she spent 3 years in an orphanage whose workers only spoke Spanish, she is a bit behind in areas. Her language is coming along, but she isn't speaking like a "normal" three year old would (but of course since English is new to her, it was to be expected). She is also being evaluated for behavior/social issues. She still has trouble playing with other children and she doesn't listen to authority AT ALL. She would be disruptive in a "normal" preschool class, so we are hoping she gets into the special needs school. If she does, she will work with a speech therapist and a child psychologist regularly and the teachers are trained in special education. It would just be a better fit for her than a main stream class (for now). However, since it is funded by the school district, she has to be tested and determined to be special needs. So, that's why I call it a tryout. At her first tryout the teacher couldn't even run through the test with the Monkey, which was actually a good thing because it showed she has difficulties listening to the teacher. So keep your fingers crossed for us.

The Hawk starts the first grade on Thursday. I can't believe he is going to be gone from 8AM-4PM. He seems to be excited but I am a bit nervous. Once again, keep your fingers crossed that it goes well.

Then there's the Kangaroo. He is starting kindergarten next Tuesday, but he has his assessment on Thursday. He hasn't been sleeping well the last few nights and has been fussy during the day, so I think he might be a little anxious. He says he doesn't care and maybe he doesn't, but keep your fingers crossed for him also.

The Hawk also starts soccer and baseball and the Kangaroo starts Soccer this week. We'll be busy. Then this weekend Dad and I have our big get-a-way. We are headed to Erie, PA to stay at a bed & breakfast. We've never done that before and Dad is terrified that he might have to share a TV with the other guest down in the living room, but he'll be just fine, even if he does miss a preseason football game. Yes, he is a big dumb football fan. His life revolves around football. I'm sure you'll be hearing a lot about that over the next 5 months. Go Vikings!

I'll post again on Thursday night letting you know what happens.

1 comment:

Ana said...

Well, I hope that the Monkey does well in her pre-K try-outs!!!

And regarding my dog and your comments -- there is honesty in what you said. And many times I've thought the same thing... While I love him cause he's mine, there are things I don't miss -- guilt for feeling that way. Still holding out hope, but it's quiet and clean in my house...

Good luck with school and your adult get-a-way. I've stayed at a bed and breakfast and they had tvs in the room. Which kind of defeats the purpose of the get-a-way if you are in the room watching football. Maybe you can call ahead and ask for the room with no tv. It can be our secret.

I was a sport's widow. I thought it was dumb (but "faked" it) and still think it's dumb...