Thursday, August 7, 2008

Meet the Herd

Hello to all our readers,

Welcome to my blog that will be filled with stories from our house.


My name is Amy and I'm a stay at home non-profit administrator mother of three. Yep, that's right, I work 30+ hours in my house with my 3 kids, or as I like to call them, my animals. My house is a toy box most days, which is currently infested with flies because the animals refuse to shut the door. You won't find many quiet moments around here either. As I write this, the kangaroo is throwing mini football players at the wall in front of me causing green grooves to form all over it. But that's okay, now Dad won't have to take the time to make up something to yell at me for tonight. I am a woman that needs excitement and commotion in order to get anything done, which makes my lifestyle just right for me. But don't get me wrong, I do dream of the day when my herd leaves the nest, I plan to sleep, get to know my husband, and vacation.



But enough about me, lets meet the herd. First we have the Hawk. I refer to him as the Hawk because he makes this annoying screeching noise anytime he wants something or when I tell him to take a bath or when Monkey stands in front of the TV and blocks his view of Drake & Josh (even though he has seen the episode 5 other times that day). He is seven years old and will be starting 1st grade in 2 weeks, yes, the house will be screech free from 8am-4pm M-F, yippee.





Second we have the Kangaroo. He likes to be called the Kangaroo because he likes to jump. He does like to jump, however I could think of better names to call him but I won't mention them here. He spends his days begging for food. This is no joke, he wants to eat all day long but you wouldn't think that if you saw him. He has really long chicken legs and he is about 5" wide. He does occasionally take a break from eating to wine, hit his sister, and make HUGE messes. He is 5 and will be starting Kindergarten in a couple weeks.





Then there is the Monkey. Lets just say this, she spent the first 33 months of her life living in an orphanage. She is very cute, however she has devil tendencies. She swings and flips from couch to couch, climbs to the top of the fridg, gives baths to small electronics, destroys my expensive makeup, sneaks out of the house, and steals every one's shoes (I caught her taking the shoes off of a manikin at the store the other day. When I caught her she threw them so she wouldn't have them in her hand. She thought she was fooling me). She can also throw the best fit in town on the grocery store floor because I won't give her the leche that I just put in the cart. We love her dearly, but she takes patience. She is 3 and will be starting preschool soon. I am sure we will have issues there since she isn't the best at playing with other children. Unless of course she gets to be in charge and the children do nothing except bring her anything she wants and call her Queen Monkey.

I truly believe that I have the best family and am incredibly blessed. However, nothing is perfect and we sure have our imperfections. Through this blog I hope to share with my readers 3 things:


1. Children are wonderful no matter how much work they are.


2. No matter how tough a day gets, it passes and a new day always brings new opportunities.


3. It is possible to have and do it all, a successful career and a happy home, family, and marriage.


Which reminds me, I haven't talked about Dad. He misses most of our adventures because he is at work all day. He often tells me that he wishes he could be a stay at home Dad, but I just laugh. He would be great at the cleaning part, the keeping up on a soap opera, and of course keeping himself in shape, however he struggles if he is home alone with all three of the animals for more than 30 seconds. He's great though and on most days he cleans the kitchen. He'll also do the laundry, although when he does it, my clothes are always stiff and smaller and you can't smell the soap.




Check back soon because I plan to blog about our most adventurous days.

4 comments:

Andrea said...

What a great idea! I love the herd and reading this sure did brighten my day. Hope things are good there. Enjoy your weekend!

Ana said...

Your family sounds great! I love the idea of you working 30+ hours at home and taking care of 3 kids. I do it 2 times a week -- with help. You deserve a prize in my book -- cause it ain't easy!!!

Anonymous said...

Thanks Amy for sharing. It was just so heart warming. You of course made me cry and I'm at work!! Cathy

Anonymous said...

I am long past being amased by you! As I watch you grow and develop you always put a smile in my heart. May God contune to bless you and give you the courage to see through the nonsense of thoes with their own agenda.Dad