Wednesday, September 17, 2008

We Had a Hurricane, Well Kind Of

Usually when hurricanes hit down south, we just see the photos of the devastation, thank God we live in Ohio, and laugh at the newscasters trying desperately to stay on the ground while trees fly by behind them. Occasionally, we do get a couple inches of rain a few days later, however, since it is usually Fall and our grass is dried up from August, we're thank full for the rain.


On Sunday, we got something quite different. No rain from Ike came, but his hurricane force winds did. In central Ohio, wind speeds were between 50 and 75 miles per hour for 4 hours. Keep in mind, our homes are built Ohio Style, meaning in a way that doesn't consider weather as a factor, since after all, it is Ohio.


My kitchen cabinets were shaking, yikes. We had our house built 4 years ago; this works in our favor.


1) We have planted 17 trees (we've been trying so hard to get some instant shade, but the trees aren't growing fast enough so we just keep adding more, in 20 years it will look like we live in the forest). These trees though are small and flexible. Did you know that the top of an oak tree can touch the ground and not break in half? Ours can and its even been struck by lightening a couple times.


2)Our shingles and siding our fairly new and the screws holding them in place haven't had enough time to rust and become ineffective. So, our house has no damage. Also, the part of central Ohio that we live in just starting being dramatically developed within the last 10 years. Because of that, we have few telephone poles and most wires are underground. This works in our favor also because we have electricity. Most of Columbus has not had electricity since Sunday and many people are told not to expect it until the weekend. See, the electric company wanted to be nice to Texas and they sent all their workers down there to help them, not realizing we'd be struck too.


While we haven't been inconvenienced a bit, most other Ohioans have been. The winds ripped through Cincinnati and didn't stop until they hit Cleveland. Several people have died from having trees fall on them. Ohioans aren't used to this kind of weather and go outside without realizing what can happen. In my sister's neighborhood in Cincinnati, many are left without siding on their homes and most homes all over the place have roof damage.


So this week we are thankful. Imagine my house with the 3 animals and nothing to do without electricity (most schools have been closed all week, the animals got to go back on Tuesday though). I promised to sell my soul for the kids to have had school on Tuesday. Hopefully the devil doesn't come knocking.

Here's a couple pictures of the Monkey from this week.


This is her doing gymnastics. She's pretty good.





If Hollywood children didn't turn out to be such hellins, I'd get her an agent! She's been having a good week, with the exception of yesterday (she was MOODY). She's started picking up heavy things and saying "it's so heavy." Her voice is so cute and sweet.

Which reminds me. I got a note from the teacher. I had asked the Monkey one day if she hit anyone or pulled hair (I ask her this everyday). One day last week her response was "no, I" and then she squeezed her face, just below her eye. She does this to me often, and when she does, I bleed. I asked her if she got in trouble and she said "si." I asked her if the child cried and she said "si." So, I put a note to the teacher in her book bag asking if it was true. This is what the note said: "Overall, I've been happy with her behavior." (She must start off on a positive note.) "She is bossy and tends to hit and push, and I have to remind her to keep her hands to herself. Although, most times she is receptive to the things I tell her and needs little intervention." Okay, that's good. She's bossy, she hits, she pushes, but overall well behaved. I suppose that's a little better than I expected. Tomorrow though might not go so well. It's someones birthday in her class. The Monkey is VIOLENT to those celebrating their birthday. She gets very angry and wants it to be her birthday. We'll see how that goes. I think I'll warn her teacher. I have been preparing the Monkey all week in hopes that it helps to control her anger.

I must get back to work. Thanks for reading.

1 comment:

Ana said...

I must chuckle.... I suppose our houses here are concrete block and stucco -- not wood or siding -- for a reason.

But honestly, isn't it funny when those newscasters get out there in their yellow raincoats with water in their faces, their bodies almost perpendicular to the ground trying to report a story. yeah, I can see it's raining and well, I suppose I should look at you being blown away since my house is boarded up and it sounds like a freight train rolling through my living room...

Glad to hear that Maria is doing well in school. Hope the birthday party was a success...