Saturday, October 18, 2008

Finally a post!

Being a full-time mom with a 30+ hour per week job (at home) and a blogger can be a bit difficult, especially during election season (since after all, I do work for the League of Women Voters). So, at times somethings got to give and in the past two weeks it has been blogging.

That doesn't mean there's been a lack of excitement around here. Where shall I begin??????

First, I am now a celebrity. I appeared on CNN's Election Center with Campbell Brown twice now. Once this past Thursday and again Wednesday of the previous week. I was a part of an all women focus group that watched the presidential debates and gave my opinion on how the candidates did. The first night they said my name out loud which thoroughly embarrassed me and then the second night I was clearly having a bad hair day. Although, I have to admit, it was fun to see myself on television and it was a bit of an ego booster to have CNN say that they were so impressed with myself and the other members of the group that they wanted to interview us a second time.

Now lets talk about the Monkey. She hasn't killed anyone yet. Although yesterday she bit the Kangaroo and his friend at the same time. I do hope the biting gets under control soon. I am getting daily reports on her behavior at school and I must share with you the comment made by her teacher on several occasions: "She needed a little extra teacher help today to make good choices." I can't think of a more positive way to say "your daughter is a bit of a maniac and doesn't listen at all" (yes, I may be overstating it for dramatic purposes).

The Monkey, along with her brothers, has been fighting a cold but she is the only one that didn't get an ear infection. The Hawk woke up this morning swollen and covered in red spots. The doctor says he's having a Penicillin reaction which means no more cheap antibiotics for him. Great! Our health insurance is NOT GOOD when it comes to medicine. Other than the coughing, the buggers, and the ear gew, there's not much different with the kids.

Now for my job (the paying one). Elections make me nauseous, and not just because of the commercials. My work load quadruples in September and October. I could go on and on about all things that annoy me during this time of year, but I'll spare you the details. I know the commercials are bad enough for you.

My house is suffering greatly right now. For example, I haven't been able to clean the toilet in my bedroom for quite some time. Yesterday, when I was standing outside the school for the Kangaroos teacher conference, wondering why the doors where locked (Hint: the teacher was there the day before when I was SUPPOSED to be there), my sister-in-law used that bathroom. Absolutely humiliating! Not only was the bathroom YUCK but the fact that the male animals in this house refuse to properly use toilet paper was quite evident in the underwear that were VISIBLE on the floor. New rule: Absolutely no one except immediate family is allowed in that bathroom - NO EXCEPTIONS.

Dad is doing well. He spent a week ALONE in San Francisco at no cost to him for a conference. The conference was work related but don't fall under his spell and allow him to convince you to pity him. He was alone in San Francisco for 5 days. What I wouldn't give to just go to the bathroom alone...............

On a more serious note, my neighbor, very good friend, and part-time seasonal assistant (all the same person) was diagnosed with breast cancer this week. So far it appears that it was caught early and after surgery and chemo, she should be able to get her life back and be done with it forever. Keep her in your prayers. Also, always tell people to have mammograms and follow-up with them to make sure they do. Knowing the importance of mammograms since my Mom died from breast cancer, I knew my friend hadn't had one yet and I bugged her for few years to get hers done. The only reason why she finally did was because I dialed the doctors number and put the phone in her ear and demanded that she make it. Doing this to everyone we are close to can truly save lives.

Alright, I've waited long enough, I must go clean the bathroom.

No comments: